Scuola Normale Superiore
Applications close August 24, 2018.
The PhD in Global History and Governance is an advanced research degree at the end of which each student must defend a dissertation based on independent and original academic research.
The course offers a multi-disciplinary training program based on history and law and open to contributions from other disciplines, such as economics, political science and political philosophy. The program focuses on the comparison, connections and processes of globalization that have characterized different areas of the planet since the first epoch of global imperialism and does so by focusing on the relational dimension of historical processes, legal regimes and the organization of power, on the interdependencies between economic, political, juridical, cultural and social factors and on the circulation, exchange and interconnection of ideas, people, institutions, legal cultures, political models, concepts, rights and goods on a global scale.
Members of the PhD board can offer training and preparation for research at the level of the best international centers in the following areas:
- History and historiography
- European empires of the modern and contemporary age
- States, wars and violence in the nineteenth and twentieth century
- History of slavery and forced labor
- The legal heritage of Europe and its integration
- Religions and the sacred in the modern and contemporary world
- Ideas, conceptions and practices of citizenship
- States, nations, languages, peoples, classes
- The globalization of law
For more information on the new PhD program, and on how to apply, please click here.